Plain Township seeks to fill a seasonal maintenance position to perform building and grounds mainten ...
Car Seat Inspection Program
Car Seat Education and Inspection: What to expect at your appointment,
- Education and inspections are by appointment only. Appointments can be made by calling 614.855.7370. The fire department does not have a child passenger safety technician on duty everyday. Most appointments will take 30-40 minutes to cover inspection of the installation and discuss best practices for child safety seats. Bring the instruction manual for your child’s car seat to your appointment.
- Child Passenger Safety Technicians will inspect seats for safety and recommend adjustments for the parent or caregiver to make for a safer installation. Parent and caregivers are responsible for installing the seat, or bringing someone that can. If you are unable to bring someone to assist in installation please let us know when you make your appointment.
- Read your owners manual for the car seat. ALWAYS FOLLOW THE MANUFACTURERS RECOMMENDATIONS.
- Read the vehicle manual section pertaining to the use of child restraint system, latch and especially air bags.
- Install the seat to the best of your ability before you arrive for your inspection appointment.
What to Bring With You
- Car seat with instruction manual.
- Base and carrier for infant rear facing seats. Bases will not be installed without the carrier.
- All children must be present with the exception of expectant parents.
- A medium size bath towel and a hand towel.
- Note: The Plain Township Fire Department follows the American Academy of Pediatrics current medical recommendation to keep toddlers in rear-facing car seats until age 2, or until they reach the maximum height and weight for their seat.
What Every Parent Needs to Know to Buckle Their Newborn Safely in a Car Seat, Dr. Alisa Baer, M.D.
- The American Academy of Pediatrics also advises that most children will need to ride in a belt-positioning booster seat until they have reached 4 feet 9 inches tall and are between 8 and 12 years of age
There is no charge for residents of Plain Township and the City of New Albany. Car seat inspections are free to all seniors. A donation in any amount toward the car seat program is appreciated from non-residents.
Click on the following links to view videos and related information: