NOTICE TO BIDDERS SEALED BIDS will be received until July 6, 2021 at 4:00 p.m. by Ben Collins – Pl ...
Fire Department Employment
The Plain Township Fire Department is accepting applications for a Lateral Firefighter Paramedic position. The application period will close on Sunday, November 8, 2020 at 2100.
Please review the criteria listed below for a lateral transfer.
PLAIN TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT
LATERAL TRANSFER FIREFIGHTER POLICY
In the event of a vacancy in the position of firefighter/paramedic at the Plain Township Fire Department, the following guidelines may be used to appoint a full-time firefighter, who is currently employed as a full-time firefighter at another department within the State of Ohio, in lieu of the normal testing process for hiring new employees. To be considered for a lateral transfer, an applicant must meet the following employment and education criteria at the time of application:
- Must have at least three (3) years of experience as a fulltime paid professional firefighter
- Must be a certified Paramedic for at least one (1) year immediately prior to application
- Must possess the following licenses and/or certifications that are both valid and current at the time of application, copies of which must be submitted with the application for employment:
o Ohio Class-D driver license
o Ohio Firefighter II certification
o Ohio EMT-Paramedic (EMT-P) OR National Registry certification
o Ohio Haz-Mat Operations certification
o American Safety & Health Institute (ASHI) or equivalent CPR certification
The following are preferred certifications:
o American Heart Association (AHA) Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification
o American Heart Association (AHA) Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certification
o Basic Trauma Life Support (BTLS) OR Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support certification
o Successful completion of NIMS courses IS-100, IS-200, IS-700, and IS-800
Upon verification of meeting the above employment and education criteria, lateral transfer applicants will sit before two (2) structured interview panels. Each interview panel will collectively score each applicant on a 100-point grading scale, and the two (2) panel scores will be averaged together to derive a single interview score for each applicant. Multiple lateral transfer applicants will be ranked based upon this final averaged interview score. The two (2) interview panels will consist of the following Township personnel:
- Panel 1: three (3) to five (5) current fulltime firefighters and officers of various ranks;
- Panel 2: the Fire Chief and Township Administrator;
The Fire Chief and Township Administrator will recommend the top five (5) qualified candidates to the Board of Trustees for consideration based on the interview process. Final selection will be made by the Board of Trustees. Prior to permanent appointment as a fulltime firefighter, the candidate must successfully complete and/or pass the following pre-employment screenings:
- Background check
- Plain Township Fire Department Agility Test
- Ohio Police & Fire Pension Fund (OP&F) physical – if required by OP&F
- Non-DOT drug screening
Upon successful completion of the pre-employment screenings, the candidate will be appointed to the position of fulltime firefighter by the Board of Trustees. Except as outlined in this section, lateral transfer firefighters will be considered a new hire employee of the Township, and as such shall adhere to all other applicable sections of the Employee Manual that reference new hire employees or appointees.
Per Section 1.11 a lateral transfer employee may not carry over seniority from their previous employer, and will therefore be placed at the bottom of the current PTFD fulltime seniority list.
Lateral transfer employees are eligible for the following benefits carryover from their previous employer(s), regardless of political subdivision (city, township, fire district):
- Up to 156 hours of Sick Leave may be imported that will not be considered for annual sick leave payout until at least an additional 500 hours of sick leave has been accrued with Plain Township and sick leave imported will not be considered for separation payment outlined in Section 7.9
- Up to 96 hours of Vacation Leave may be imported and imported vacation leave will be treated the same as vacation leave earned at Plain Township
- No compensatory time may be imported
- Vacation accrual rate commensurate with the years of full-time service with their previous employer(s)
- Enhanced starting pay rate, at step 2 with at least 3 years of full-time paid professional firefighting experience and step 3 with at least 5 years of full-time paid professional firefighting experience, to be approved by the board of trustees
- Longevity Pay available after 5 years of full-time service with Plain Township
If you meet all of the above requirements click on the link to fill out the online application. If you have difficulty with the application close out your browser completely and reload the website: www.plaintownship.org.
Click link to access application: