Carbon Monoxide Safety!

Did you know? More than 150 people in the U.S. die every year from accidental non fire-related carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide or CO is a colorless and odorless gas. CO poisoning can occur when a fuel-burning appliance or machine, such as a furnace, heater or generator, is not working or vented properly. Breathing in CO at high levels can be fatal.

Learn what you can do to protect your family from the dangers of CO.

  • Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of CO.
  • Install CO alarms in a central location outside each separate sleeping area and on every level of your home.
  • Use portable generators outdoors in well-ventilated areas away from all doors, windows and vents.
  • Make sure vents for the dryer, furnace, stove and fireplace are clear of snow and other debris.

For more information on keeping your family safe with carbon monoxide alarms visit the National Fire Protection Agency, click here.